Give your immune system a helping hand with this Indian inspired recipe. Dal Khichri is easy pot rice & moong dal lentil dish. Extremely delicious, protein-packed and works as a perfect immune booster.
Preparation time: 3 hours
1/2 brown rice
1/2 red lentils
1/2 green lentils
2 green chillies
1 red chilli
1 ts black mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
1 thumb ginger
4 garlic cloves
1 ts turmeric
3 tbs Ghee or Vegetable Oil (For Vegans)
400 ml of water
Bunch of coriander or parsley (Chopped)
Juice of a half lemon
1. Wash rice and lentils under cold water, add to a bowl and soak for 2 hours.
2. Heat ghee butter or oil in a pan.
3. Add chillies, bay leaf, ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, turmeric and sauté on medium heat for 1 minute.
4. Add lentils and rice into a pan and mix well with the spices for 1 minute constantly mixing together.
5. Add water to the pan and bring to boil.
6. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes(or until almost all water is gone)
7. Add lemon and freshly chopped coriander.
8. Use a carving fork to gently stir the khichri and break up any obvious lumps. This process gives our dish a fluffy consistency.
9. Top up with turmeric & ginger pili nuts and our dish ready to be served.